- Contact Info
- +61 3 9479 2037
Associate Professor Clare Wright is an award-winning historian, author and television writer/presenter who has worked in politics, academia and the media. Clare’s doctoral research was the subject of her debut book, Beyond the Ladies Lounge: Australia’s Female Publicans (Melbourne University Publishing, 2003). She won the 2014 Stella Prize for her book The Forgotten Rebels of Eureka, a revisionist work of narrative non-fiction based on her postdoctoral research which addresses the little-acknowledged role of women in the Eureka Stockade. As well as winning the Stella Prize and the 2014 NIB Waverly Prize for Literature, The Forgotten Rebels of Eureka was also shortlisted for the 2014 Prime Minister’s Literary Awards and longlisted for the Walkley Awards. Her screenwriting credits include Utopia Girls: How Women Won the Vote (ABC) and The War That Changed Us (ABC) which was nominated for a Logie for Most Outstanding Factual series. Clare is the writer/presenter of Radio National’s history series/podcast, Shooting the Past. Her new book, You Daughters of Freedom, about the role of Australian women in the British suffragette movement, was published in October 2018 to critical acclaim. Clare is currently a La Trobe ARC Future Fellow, researching a new history of mining in Australia, Red Dirt Dreaming.
- History , School of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Principal Research Fellow, History , (La Trobe University) 2014 - 2022
- Australian History (excl. ATSI) (Expertise)
- Australian culture (Expertise)
- Australian heritage (Expertise)
- Australian history (Expertise)
- Australian identity (Expertise)
- Australian masculinity and mateship (Expertise)
- Australian national identity (Expertise)
- Australian political culture (Expertise)
- Australian women writers (Expertise)
- Eureka Stockade (Expertise)
- History and television (Expertise)
- History in film and television (Expertise)
- History of alcohol (Expertise)
- Pubs and publicans (Expertise)
- Transforming Human Societies (Research Areas)
- Women's History (Expertise)
- Womens suffrage (Expertise)
- View All
- "Honest History 5: Presenting, choosing, measuring, changing history", Australia National University, Canberra
- "Living the Vida Lola", Melbourne Free University, History Matters Series, Melbourne.
- "Red Dirt Dreaming", Looking Inland, Centre for the Study of the Inland, La Trobe University
- 'Pitch Perfect' Workshop presented by Kapacity.org to develop public speaking skills for professional women
- 'Ponder and See' Literary Tour of Melbourne, Panel Discussion, A Writing Life, State Library of Australia
- Academic Board discussion panel, 'What Type of University Do We Want?'. La Trobe University.
- Adelaide Writers Week
- Alice Award Presentation, Society for Women Writers, Melbourne.
- Board Director, The Wheeler Centre
- Book Launch, "You Daughters of Freedom", Centre of Democracy, Adelaide, with Senator Penny Wong
- Byron Bay Writers' Festival
- Centre of Excellence bid - advisory group workshop
- Chair at the Adelaide Writers Week
- Chair at the Bendigo Writers Festivals
- Chair at the Melbourne Writers Festival
- Chair of panel discussion and film screening, 'He Named Me Malala', La Trobe University.
- Clunes Booktown
- Convenor of La Trobe University's Environmental History Reading Group
- Cultural Diplomacy, Australian Writers Week in China, speaking tour of China sponsored by DFAT and Australian Embassy, Beijing. 10 days, 4 cities, 17 public event.
- Curator and Host of Literary TalkFest withe Clementine Ford, Jeff Sparrow, Abdi Aden and Maxine Beneba Clarke, Northcote High School
- Curator and Host, Literary TalkFest, Northcote Highschool
- Curator and chair of Melbourne Conversations, Federation Square, Melbourne
- Curator and chair, A Literary L' Chaim, Melbourne Jewish Comedy Festival, Glen Eira Town Hall.
- Curator and chair, Literary TalkFest, Northcote High school, Melbourne.
- Curator and host, Northcote High School Literary TalkFest, featuring Helen Garner, Andy Griffith, Jock Serong and Sofie Laguna.
- Dame Roma Mitchell Memorial Oration, "Knocking at the Door or Banging Loudly to Be Heard? A Short History of Women and Democracy in Australia", Law Institute of Victoria, Melbourne.
- Damned Whores and God's Police: 40 Years On, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Dymphna Clark Lecture, Australian National University
- ECR Research Intensive, Public Engagement panel, Research Education and Development Team, La Trobe University
- Exhibition opening and facilitator, "the Extractive Frontier: Mining for Art', Castlemaine Art Museum with floor talks by artists Shirley McNamar, Bonhula Yunuoingu and Damien Wright.
- Guest Lecture for Making History, La Trobe University
- Guest Lecture, Northcote High School, Year 12 Australian History.
- Guest Speaker and Judge at the Launch of Making Histories HIS3MHI Final Projects, La Trobe University.
- Guest Speaker at the Book launch of 'Breaking the Mould: Taking a Hammer ti Sexism in Sport' by Angela Pippos, MCG.
- Guest Speaker at the launch of Square the Ledger, Parliament House, Melbourne.
- Guest Speaker, Carey Baptist School
- Guest Speaker, Glen Eira Storytelling Festival
- Guest Speaker, Northcote High School
- Guest Speaker, Rotary Club of Brighton.
- Guest Speaker, Yarra Valley Grammar School
- Guest of Honour in Conversation at the NSW Creative Non-Fiction Festival, Sydney.
- Guest speaker and judge at the Three Minute Thesis, La Trobe University
- Guest speaker at National Library of Australia gala dinner to celebrate 100 years of UK women's suffrage and opening of NLA exhibition, Suffragette Sisters.
- Guest speaker at gala black tie fundraiser for State Library of Victoria, Bright Visions.
- Guest speaker at, The Hon. Paul Keating on our role in Asia in the Trump Era, Ideas and Society, Melbourne Recital Centre.
- Guest speaker, Preston West Primary School
- Guest speaker, Union Club Sydney
- History Writers Festival
- In Conversation with Frank Bongiorno, Readings Carlton
- In Conversation with Gideon Haigh, Eltham Bookshop.
- In Conversation with Leah Kaminsky, Eltham Bookshop
- In conversation with Robert wainwright, My Bookshop, Armadale.
- Keynote Lecture, Copyright Agency Limited Annual Showcase, Primus Hotel, Sydney.
- Keynote Lecture, Eureka Democracy Awards, Amora Hotel, Melbourne.
- Keynote Presentation at the History Teachers' Association of Victoria Annual Conference
- Keynote Presentation, History Teachers' Association of Victoria Annual Conference, Flemington Racecourse, Melbourne.
- Keynote for La Trobe University Graduation, Bundoora
- Keynote presentation, Reading Matter Youth Literature Annual Conference, Victorian Arts Centre.
- La Trobe University History Wiring Group
- La Trobe University History Writing Group
- La Trobe University Powerhouse Women Panel
- La Trobe University Research Showcase
- La Trobe University's Environmental History Reading Group
- La Trobe University, PhD Moms
- Literary Panel: In Conversation with Bri Lee, Avid Reader, Brisbane.
- Literary Panel: In Conversation with Caroline Overington, Gleebooks, Sydney.
- Literary Panel: In Conversation with Gillian Triggs, Eltham Bookshop, Melbourne, (Chair).
- Literary Panel: In Conversation with Michael Brissenden, Muse, Canberra.
- Literary Panel: In Conversation with Sally Warhaft, Readings, Melbourne.
- Literary Panel:In Conversation with Corrie Perkin, My Bookshop, Melbourne.
- Literary Panel:In Conversation with Natasha Cica, Nth Fitzroy Library.
- Literary Panel:In Conversation with Robyn Annear, Ballarat Library.
- Masterclass, ACT Writers Centre Mentoring Program, in research for nonfiction wrting.
- Melbourne Writers' Festival
- Mudgee Readers' Festival
- Networking cocktail function in the home of Michelle Garnaut AO, philanthropist and businesswoman.
- Opening Keynote, Victorian Women's Trust, Breakthrough the Future is Gender Equity, Melbourne Town Hall
- Panellist at State Library of Victoria Staff Development Conference, State Library of Victoria, Melbourne.
- Panellist at the Beijing Bookworm International Literary Festival
- Panellist at the Feminist Writers Festival
- Panellist at the Melbourne Jewish Writers Festival
- Panellist at the Victorian Public Sector Commission and Australian and New Zealand School of Government Seminar Series, 'Fixing the System', Treasury Theatre.
- Panellist, Creative Non-Fiction Panel with Romana Koval, Kate Holden and Lee Kofman, The Wheller Centre.
- Panellist, John Monash and Jewish ANZACS, Jewish Museum of Victoria.
- Panellist, Suffragette advanced film screening, Nova Cinema.
- Panellist, Suffragette fundraiser, Nova Cinema.
- Public Lecture, "The Life and Times of Lola Montez", Museum of Australian Democracy at Eureka, Ballarat.
- Public Lecture, Mac.Rob Foundation, Hidden Women of History, Melbourne
- Public Lecture, South Australian History Trust, Drill Hall, Adelaide
- Public lecture, Peter Tobin Oration, Eureka Centre Ballarat
- Speech given at Women of Letters, Regal Ballroom, Melbourne/
- Speech, The Show of the Year, The Wheeler Centre, Athenaeum Theatre.
- Stephen Murrary-Smith Memorial Lecture, "From Damned whores to Forgotten rebels: A personal and intellectual journey through Australian history", State Library of Victoria, Melbourne.
- Supreme Court of Victoria Twilight Talk with an introduction by Chief Justice Marilyn Warren, Melbourne.
- The Stella Prize Long List announcement and reception
- The Stella Prize, 'Stella Sparks', the Speigeltent.
- VC public forum, 'Academic Freedom in the Age of Social Media', La Trobe University.
- Victorian Premier's Literary Awards reception
- Word for Word Non-Fiction Festival, Geelong,
- Wright CA. Banging loudly to be heard. Australian Author. 47:14-15. 2015
- Wright CA. Forgetting to remember: Time to be brave. Griffith Review. 48:149-157. 2015
- Wright CA. Making 'The war that changed us': Notes from the frontline of history, television and military remembrance. TEXT: Journal of Writing and Writing Programs. 1-12. 2015
- Wright CA. "A splendid object lesson": a transnational perspective on the birth of the Australian nation. Journal of Women's History. 26:12-36. 2014
- Wright CA. Desperately Seeking Samuel: A Diary Lost and Found. The La Trobe Journal. 90:6-22. 2012
- Wright C. Utopia Girls : a Conversation with Clare Wright. Ethos. 20:6-10. 2012
- Wright CMcDermott A. Ned's women: A fractured love story. Meanjin. 69:113-121. 2010
- Wright C. A Lover and a Fighter : Clare Wright on the Trouble with Lola Montez.. Overland. 95:20-29. 2009
- Wright CA. A Lover and a Fighter: The Trouble with Lola Montez. Overland. 20-29. 2009
- Wright C. ‘An Indelible Stain’: Gifts of the Samuel Lazarus Diary. History Australia. 6:45.1-45.5. 2009
- Wright C. ‘New Brooms They Say Sweep Clean’: Women's Political Activism on the Ballarat Goldfields, 1854. Australian Historical Studies. 39:305-321. 2008
- Wright CA. Golden Opportunities: The Early Origins of Women’s Suffrage in Victoria. Victorian Historical Journal. 79:210-224. 2008
- Wright C. The Divided Heart [Letter]. Arena Magazine. 98:15-16. 2008
- Wright C. ‘Doing the beans’: Women, drinking and community in the ladies’ lounge. Journal of Australian Studies. 27:5-16. 2003
- Wright C. Of public houses and private lives female hotelkeepers as domestic entrepreneurs∗. Australian Historical Studies. 32:57-75. 2001
- Wright C. You Daughters of Freedom : The Australians Who Won the Vote and Inspired the World 2018
- Wright C. We are the rebels: the women and men who made Eureka 2015
- Wright C. Beyond the ladies lounge : Australia's female publicans 2014
- Wright C. The Forgotten Rebels of Eureka 2013
- Wright C. Beyond the Ladies Lounge : Australia's Female Publicans. 2003
- Wright C. Prime Minister Edith Cowan. 105-114. 2017
- Wright CA. Making The War That Changed Us. 206-217. 2016
- Wright CA. 'The Next Throb of Outraged Humanity': Australia in a Revolutionary Age. 44-55. 2015
- Wright CA. Sex, Lies and History on TV. 215-231. 2013
- Wright CA. The Eureka Stockade: An Alternative Portrait. 213-220. 2008
- Wright CA. Labour Pains: Towards a Female Perspective on the Birth of Australian Democracy. 123-141. 2007
- Wright CA. More than a century on, the battle fought by Australia’s suffragists is yet to be won 2018
- Wright C. The Diary Formerly Known as Lazarus. The La Trobe Journal. 32-34. 2017
- Wright C. 'Bones' McGhie, a cigarette and nostalgia for a greater game 2017
- Wright CA. A university life in four seasons. 111-131. 2017
- Wright C. Alice Cornwell: Fergus Hume on our mysterious Madame Midas 2017
- Wright C. Damien Wright [and] Bonhula Yunupingu [Bala Ga Lili: Two Ways Learning]. 4-6. 2017
- Osborne TWright C. Do you know this amputee Anzac? The Australian War Memorial wants your help 2017
- Wright C. How Australia Became a Nation and Women Won the Vote 2017
- Wright C. The woman who startled the world. vii-xv. 2017
- Wright C. Geoffrey Blainey's Conservative Populism 2016
- Wright CA. Emancipated Wenches in Gaudy Jewellery: the liberating bling of the goldfields. 6-6. 2016
- Wright CA. A letter to the me that never was. 146-151. 2016
- Wright CA. Birth of a Nation: How Empowering Women Taught the World a Lesson 2016
- Wright CA. Birth of a nation? Empowering women, teaching the world a lesson. Griffith Review. 204-217. 2016
- Wright C. Who Will Australia's Folk Heroes Be in 130 Years' Time? 2016
- Wright C. A response to the Cronulla riots, ten years on 2015
- Wright C. Lest we forget our other heroes of war, fighting for freedom at home 2015
- Wright C. Why I'm a climate optimist heading into 2016 2015
- Wright C. Wanted, a Beautiful Barmaid: Women Behind the Bar in New Zealand, 1830–1976. Australian Historical Studies. 458-459. 2014
- Wright C. Eureka flag heralds winds of change 2014
- Wright C. Flashers, femmes and other forgotten figures of the Eureka Stockade 2013
- Wright C. The other Australia Day: November 11 throughout history 2013
- Wright C. Women are central to Australia's history. Why have we forgotten them? 2013
- Wright C. Gender and power in Australia: the world is watching 2012
- A Tale of Two Mining Towns: Ballarat 1854, Nhulunbuy 1963, Presenter, Boom and Bust: Australian Historical Association 2016
- Digging Deeper: what can the history of Australian mining tell us about the Inland?, Presenter, Mapping the Inland
- Faith and Fortune: Ballarat, Eureka and the Sabbath Alliance, Presenter, Faith on the Goldfieds
- On Making The War That Changed Us, Presenter, Conflict in History: Australian Historical Association Conference 2014
- The Next Throb of Outraged Humanity, Presenter, ‘THE FINEST THING IN AUSTRALASIAN HISTORY’? EUREKA’S SIGNIFICANCE, THEN AND NOW
principal investigator on
other research activities
organizer of event
- Northcote High School Literary TalkFest. Curator and chair of annual fund-raising event featuring four high profile Australian authors discussing their practice Event administrator 2018 -
- La Trobe University Open Day, HIstory Stall and Student Radio Interview 2018 -
- Co-ordinator of La Trobe University's Department of History Website 2016 -
- La Trobe University History Research Seminar Convenor 2016 -
- Manger of the La Trobe University's Department of History Facebook Page 2016 -
- Co-ordinator of La Trobe University's Department of History Website 2015 -
- Convenor of the La Trobe University History Research Seminar 2015 -
- Manager of the La Trobe University Department of History's Facebook page 2015 -
- Dr Clare Wright