Influence of insulin resistance on in-stent restenosis in patients undergoing coronary drug-eluting stent implantation after long-term angiographic follow-up Academic Article uri icon

abstract

  • OBJECTIVE: Previous studies have reported that insulin resistance is related to early in-stent restenosis (ISR) after coronary stenting. This study aimed to evaluate the influence of insulin resistance on the long-term angiographic outcome in patients undergoing coronary drug-eluting stent (DES) implantation. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Within a single hospital-based cohort of patients (n=529) who underwent coronary DES implantation, angiographic follow-up was performed successfully for 417 study patients at 12-48 months after coronary stenting. ISR was defined as stenosis of at least 50% of the luminal diameter. Fasting plasma glucose and fasting plasma insulin were measured. Insulin resistance was expressed by the homeostasis model assessment index (HOMA-IRI). RESULTS: Among the 417 patients who completed angiographic follow-up (mean 17.5±10.2 months), 58 patients (13.9%) had ISR whereas the remaining 359 patients (86.1%) did not have ISR. Patients with ISR had higher insulin resistance index (IRI) than nonrestenosis patients (P=0.004). Multiple logistic regression analysis (logit) showed that IRI was associated significantly with ISR (adjusted odds ratio 1.476, 95% confidence interval 1.227-1.776; P<0.001). In the nondiabetes subgroup of 309 patients, IRI was higher in patients with ISR than in nonrestenosis patients, as confirmed in a separate logit analysis (adjusted odds ratio 1.456, 95% confidence interval 1.152-1.839; P=0.002). Multiple linear regression analysis showed that IRI was associated significantly with in-stent diameter stenosis degree (P=0.043). CONCLUSION: Insulin resistance was associated with ISR in patients undergoing coronary DES implantation at long-term angiographic follow-up.

authors

  • Zhao, L-P
  • Xu, W-T
  • Wang, L
  • Li, H
  • Shao, C-L
  • Gu, H-B
  • Chan, S-P
  • Xu, H-F
  • Yang, X-J

publication date

  • 2015

has subject area